Saturday, March 14, 2009

#29 Google Tools

I took a look at Google News and played with the Archive and timeline search. It's kinda cool to be able to see the time frame of certain topics in news cycle, but it's also aggravating to see a distribution of articles that look like they might have been published a century ago only to find out they MENTION a year that was a century ago. I have a problem with Google in general about that. All of the search results you see have a layer of misrepresentation when you cannot see a posted on or published on date. Sometimes I really want to see the responses in chronological order or am looking for an answer relative to the date it was born.
I'm sure any reference librarian would find Google News a handy tool though.

I also looked at (with a wary eye) the WebHistory tool and decided knowing about it was enough for now. When I tried to install it I got lost in some of the version specific headaches warned about in the background articles. Since I'm not using my search history for work purposes I'm not ready to keep up on it and suffer the loss of privacy or technical complexity it adds to my home surfing.

No comments: