Saturday, May 9, 2009

#45 Cloud Computing

I have been in the cloud for years. I have online banking, bill paying, a 15 year old web email account, files of assets listed at hosted sites, and at work have used or considered using SaaS (software as a service) applications more than once. Both data and application can be housed by provider. Many of these are in proprietary repositories so not necessarily 'cloud' but are reachable from any internet connection.

Newest ones are free, but not necessarily making them less secure, less reliable, less private than the ones from private or government entities. When someone wants to hack, they do it to whoever they please.

For professional association or other voluntary group identities we've used Google Docs, wikis, etc. There is usually no other more convenient or contemporary way to be sharing.

I would consider online backup in the future but right now am comfortable with high capacity portable devices. I expect libraries will move completely to universally shared catalogs/holdings in the cloud.

No comments: