Saturday, May 9, 2009

#43 Online TV

I now have a Hulu account. I queued an episode of the Daily Show. I have a DVR and Cable account that I use to select network programming and view at my convenience. I have used the network websites to catch missed episodes in the past and I guess Hulu serves that purpose for the network it partners with. I can see online tv replacing broadcast as the delivery mechanism. But for news/weather/sports and local programming there will still need to be a shared medium. Viewing habits are and have changed for everyone I know. YouTube is the source my kids turn to first for entertainment. Because there is more viewable content on the Internet than in broadcast space my guess is these big screen tv's will have to be directly wired to the Internet to simplify infrastructure and to broaden the flow of content to and use of these devices. It seems free access is never free so even though we may not pay per view or subscribe to a channel or service we'll still be viewing commercials or be asked to interact with vendors live during our viewing (time cost, invasion of privacy) instead. Change is inevitable.

I do miss family viewing.

No comments: