Tuesday, April 7, 2009

#33 Travel

OK, timeliness is important. I'm planning a trip to Hawaii in May so I was hoping for some great discoveries and insights from this Thing! The articles to read were pretty cursory and superficial. I'm really interested in how users (as opposed to contributors) are finding these tools and whether they contribute to overall trip experience and satisfaction. The trip blogs, My Kugelhopf, and Tips from T-list were interesting but pretty one dimensional. The review sites like Trip Advisor and Gusto and Travel Post were predictable and repetitive. I did enjoy the Sheraton Share Your Stories as they were specific to a place and very short. The journals Mapness and Vcarious are fun for seeing how traveling spirits document their trips and but hard to locate accounts if the poster didn't use the location in the title. The host highlights featured trips but that's a serendipitous way to survey the travelogues. Best find: Fastfoodmaps.com--with teenagers and car trips, what a relief! Each has a preference and we can locate side by side locations. Cool.
Library uses: hmmm. Probably best for following a community interest (locals on journeys) or highlighting reviews of local landmarks.

No comments: